HP LaserJet 4100mfp, 4101mfp and 9000mfp - '49.FF81' Error Message Troubleshooting
A 49 error indicates that the print processor could not understand or execute an instruction within a file or cannot interface with an accessory, DIMM, or EIO device. However, the 49.FF81
error is most commonly associated with the EIO Hard Disk
How to verify printer functionality
- Power off the MFP and remove the EIO hard disk. To remove the hard disk remove the two screws from the EIO1 or EIO2 slot on the back of the MFP (depending on which slot the hard drive is installed in).
Power up the MFP (turn it on), it will boot up with the message HARD DISK NOT INSTALLED, COPY AND SEND DISABLED.
- Print a Configuration Page by performing the following:
Press the Menu
key until Information
is shown on the display, then press the Select
key to highlight the Information
Highlight Print Configuration
and press the Select
- The MFP should print out two pages.
- Test the MFP by send several print jobs over the network to the MFP from a PC.
- If the MFP prints the test print jobs successfully, power down the MFP and reinstall the hard drive. Proceed to the next section and perform a Disk Init.
- If the MFP fails to successfully print any of these tests then contact HP Support for further assistance.
How to perform a Disk Init
- Power off the MFP.
Reinstall the EIO hard drive in the EIO slot, and tighten the screws.
Press and continue to hold down the START
button on the control panel of the MFP. While holding it down, power up the MFP.
Continue to hold down the START
button until the MFP initializes and the three control panel LEDs are all lit up solid. Now release the START
Press and release the LEFT
navigation button. The message INITIALIZE DISKS
will be displayed on the control panel display.
Press and release the SELECT
button. Two rows of asterisks will be displayed on the control panel display.
When the asterisks disappear and the message READY
appears on the control panel display, the issue should be resolved.
- If the 49.FF81
errors reoccur or the MFP hangs while performing the Disk Init procedure, then contact HP Support.