HP and Compaq Desktop PCs - Motherboard Specifications, MS-6577 (Giovani, Giovani2)
Motherboard specification table
||MIS name: MS-6577 M-ATX Rev. 3.1 (Giovani), Rev. 4.0 (Giovani2)
Compaq name: Giovani-GL6, Giovani2-GL6
- Socket 478 for Intel P4 Williamette and Northwood processors
- Supports Intel Pentium 4 processor up to 2.8 GHz
- Supports Intel Celeron processor up to 3.06 GHz (Prescott based Celeron with 533MHz FSB)
| Intel 845GV Chipset
- FSB 400/533
- Multiplexed AGP interface
- Integrated 3D/2D graphic core
- Supports DDR 333/266/200 memory
|Intel ICH4 Chipset
- High speed USB 2.0 controller, 480Mb/sec
- PCI Master 2.2
- I/O APIC
- AC'97 2.2 interface
- Three UHCI host controllers
- One EHCI host controller
- Two 184-pin DDR DIMM
- Maximum memory size is up to 2GB, 1GB per slot.
- HP recommends a maximum memory of 1GB, 512MB per slot.
- Supports PC2100 0r PC2700 unbuffered non-ECC
||Three 32-bit Master PCI (peripheral component interconnect) Bus slots
- IDE HDD/CD-ROM operation modes:
- Bus Master
- Ultra DMA 100/66
- Connect up to four IDE devices
- Two PS/2 ports
- Six USB ports (four front, two rear)
- One Parallel port
- One Serial port
- One VGA
- One RJ-45 LAN port
- Vertical audio ports (line-in, line-out, microphone-in)
- Two IDE (ATA 100)
- One ATX power
- One Floppy
- One AUX-in
- One Mic-in
- One Front panel
- One Clear password
- One Clear CMOS
- AC'97 link controller integrated in ICH4
- Six-channel software codec RealTek AL658 (optional)
- RealTek RTL8101L chip
- Integrated Fast Ethernet MAC AND PHY (one chip)
- Supports 10 Mb/s and 100Mb/s
- Compliance with PCI V2.2
- Supports ACPI Power Management
- PnP (plug & play) to detect peripheral devices and expansion cards automatically.
- DMI (desktop management interface) function to record motherboard specifications.
||Micro-ATX form factor
||Six mounting holes
||Mainboard specifications are subject to change without notice
Motherboard layout and photographs
Figure 1: Layout
Figure 2: Photo
Figure 3: Backplate
1 - Mouse
2 - Parallel
3 - LAN
4 - Line-in
5 - Line-out
6 - Microphone
7 - USB
8 - Video
9 - Serial
10 - Keyboard
Clearing the CMOS settings
The jumper JBAT1 allows you to clear the Real Time Clock (RTC) RAM in CMOS. You can clear the CMOS memory of date, time, and system setup parameters by erasing the CMOS RTC RAM data. The onboard button cell battery powers the RAM data in CMOS, which includes system setup information.
|| Do not change any jumper setting while the computer is on. Damage to the motherboard can result.
Turn off the PC and unplug the power cord.
Move jumper JBAT1 to pins 2-3 for 5 seconds.
Plug the power cord and turn on the PC.
After you restart the PC you will need to enter BIOS setup by pressing F1 at the first startup screens to reset any custom BIOS settings.
Clearing the BIOS password
The BIOS password is used to protect BIOS settings from unwanted changes. If you have forgotten your password you may disable password checking and reset the password.
- Remove jumper JPWD1
- Press the F1
key as the PC starts to enter BIOS setup
- Clear or reset the BIOS password.
- Save the BIOS settings (F10
) and shut down the system
- Replace the jumper.